LAB GROWN DIAMONDS VERSUS ORGANIC GROWN DIAMONDS – UNDERSTANDING OPTION
In this article, Laurie Sarah will help you understand the following:
- What is a Lab Grown Diamond?
- What is an Organic Grown Diamond?
- What process is used to grow Lab Diamonds?
- What are the Pros and Cons of each?
- Are Lab Grown Diamonds the same as CZ, imitation diamonds or synthetic diamonds?
WHAT IS A LAB GROWN DIAMOND?
Put simply, a Lab Grown Diamond is a real diamond that is grown under lab conditions.
WHAT IS AN ORGANIC GROWN DIAMOND?
This is a diamond that was created by nature that was dug out of the ground.
WHAT PROCESS IS USED TO GROW LAB DIAMONDS?
There are two main processes used today to grow diamonds in a lab.
THE HPHT DIAMOND GROWTH PROCESS
- Diamond seed is placed in a specifically designed press.
- The growth chamber is heated to 1300-1600 °C with pressures above 870,000 pounds per square inch.
- The molten metal dissolves the high purity carbon source.
- Carbon atoms precipitate on a small diamond seed crystal, and a synthetic diamond begins to grow.
- The lab-grown crystal is then cut and polished by a diamond cutter.
THE CVD DIAMOND GROWTH PROCESS
Diamond seed crystals are placed in a diamond growth chamber.
The chamber is filled with carbon-containing gas.
The chamber is heated to about 900-1200°C.
A microwave beam causes carbon to precipitate out of a plasma cloud and deposit onto a seed crystal.
Diamonds are removed every few days to have the top surface polished to remove any non-diamond carbon before being put back in to grow. Each batch of diamonds may require several stop/start cycles, and the entire growth process can take three or four weeks.
After the synthetic diamond crystals are removed, they are ready to be cut and polished into the final product.
Information in this point is taken from the GIA.EDU website.
WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF EACH?
- Lab Grown Diamonds are less expensive than Organic Diamonds
- Organic Diamonds hold their value better. They have a better resale value.
- Lab Grown Diamonds look just the same as an Organic Diamond. It takes special equipment to detect whether they are Lab Grown or Organic.
ARE LAB GROWN DIAMONDS THE SAME AS CZ, IMITATION DIAMONDS OR SYNTHETIC DIAMONDS?
No. Plain and simple. When buying a diamond alternative, we recommend that you purchase an IGI Certified HPHT or CVD Lab Grown Diamond to be sure you are not being scammed. Laurie Sarah and Avo will help you choose the perfect Lab Grown or Organic Diamond! We have all sizes and shapes available in each kind! Contact us at Mail@LaurieSarah.com and we’ll help.