WHAT IS MOISSANITE?
Moissanite in nature is a naturally occuring gemstone. It was discovered by Henri Moissan (whom Moissanite was later named after) while examining rock samples from a meteor crater located in Canyon Diablo, Arizona USA in 1893. In its natural form, Moissanite is extremely rare. It has only been discovered in a few rocks. (information obtained from Wikipedia)
WHAT IS CHARLES & COLVARD MOISSANITE?
Because of the scarcity of natural moissanite, the vast majority of moissanite today is the result of lab creation. Charles & Colvard was the first company to create and market lab-grown silicon carbide gemstones (moissanite). In the late 1990’s, scientists developed the innovative thermal growing process that creates these crystals. These crystals are fashioned into moissanite gemstones. The process can take two to three months per gemstone! Because of the high quality of Charles & Colvard moissanite, Laurie Sarah Designs uses their moissanite exclusively.
- Moissanite ranks 9.5 on the MOHS scale. Natural diamonds are 10, natural sapphires are 9.
- This makes moissanite an extremely durable gem, excellent for everyday wear.
- On the Brilliance Refractive Index, moissanite ranges from 2.65-2.69, making it the most brilliant gemstone.
- Moissanite’s brilliance and color will never fade (unless given to a jeweler who does not understand its properties)
- Moissanite is flawless to the naked eye. Only at 10x magnification, can tiny needle-like inclusions be seen, but these do not affect the clarity of the gem.
(all information paraphrased from the official Charles & Colvard website)
MOISSANITE VS DIAMOND
In our experience, these are the factors that clients take into account in deciding whether they choose Moissanite or Diamond:
- For those that are against Natural Diamonds for ethical reasons, moissanite offers an excellent alternative that looks just like diamond.
- For those on a budget that does not allow them to purchase the Natural Diamond in the size they want, Moissanite is an excellent, budget friendly option. Lab Grown Diamonds are now very affordable and also an excellent option for this.
- For those that desire a natural gemstone over a lab created one, Natural Diamond is the way to go.
- Natural Diamonds hold their value better than Moissanite, so if you’re wanting to create an heirloom piece that can be passed down, Natural Diamonds would be the way to go.
MOISSANITE CARE AND CLEANING
Moissanite can be cleaned and cared for like you would any other diamond or gemstone. An ultrasonic cleaner can be used. We recommend the Laurie Sarah Jewelry Cleaner which will keep your moissanite sparkly and clean! If a tough film builds up and is hard to clean off, it is recommended that a professional cleaning by a reputable jeweler be performed.